Cleasathon-Inis OírrEnglish Version Irish Version


Route 1 - 10K



Route 2 - 5K



Route 3 - 20K

20k route equals 10k route twice.



Things to look out for and sites worth visiting 

Cnoc Raithní (Beside an Pháirc) This monument is a bronze age (c.1500 BC) burial mound rediscovered in 1885 when revealed by a sandstorm.

Caisleán Uí Bhriain & Dún Formna Fort (on the hill overlooking the beach) The castle is a three storey tower house built by the O' Brien's who controlled the island from approximately 1190 to 1585. Caisleán Uí Bhriain is built within the walls of Dún Formna Fort which dates back to the Stone Age.

The Watch Tower (in the general area of Dún Formna) Erected during the reign of Napoleon this was one of a series of watch towers built around the Irish coast to warn the English of an impending sea attack by the French.

Old National School (adjacent to the watch tower) built in 1885, it was in use until 1940.

Teampall Chaomháin (The island's present day graveyard) Caomhán the patron saint of the island is buried in Leaba Chaomháin in this graveyard. His feastday is celebrated on Inis Oírr on the 14th June. The church ruins date back to the 10-14th century.

Loch Mór (Eastern side of the island) This lagoon type lake has an area of 6.6 ha. and at approximately 23m deep is considered one of the deepest in Ireland.

The Plassy Wreck (eastern seashore) On the 8 March, 1960 the Plassy cargo ship hit the Finnish Rock in South Sound (the sound between Inis Oírr and Clare) on its journey from Foynes to Galway. No lives were lost as the islanders, without any outside help saved all on board, but were not however allowed to save the cargo!.

The Lighthouse (on the southeast tip of the island) The lighthouse is in operation since 1857. It is 37m in height. The light at night has a distance of 20 nautical miles.

Cill na Seacht nIníon (halfway between the watch tower and the lake) This is known locally as AN CHILL. While it is recorded as the oldest monastic site on the island and is associated with Naomh Moninne, the first saint to inhabit the island, it is not generally visited by locals as a place of pilgrimage at present. The "sleeping quarters" in the perimeter wall are reminiscent of the catacombs in Rome. While 'Cill na Seacht nIníon' is translated as 'Church of the Seven Daughters' Seacht in Irish also means several or many.

Tobar Éanna (close to the Southwestern seashore) This spring well, probably in use since prehistoric times, has been dedicated to Éanna a saint who came to inhabit these islands around 485AD. It remains a place of pilgrimage to this day and the special blessing associated with a sighting of the elusive resident eel makes it extra special.    

Cill Ghobnait (on the western side)  A piece of sculpture, of Inis Oírr limestone, by the sculptor Eileen Mac Donagh stands outside the site. The site itself contains the small church 'Teampall Ghobnait' two raised gravestones, a beehive hut and a large elder tree of sacred importance. This is a place of pilgrimage as it is where Saint Gobnait resided when she came to Inis Oírr from the Burren. 

An Cloch Cuimhniúcháin (on the western side) This monument was erected in memory of all the islanders who lost their lives at sea.